Kul Tiran (playable)
- This article is about the playable race. For human lore in general, see human. For Kul Tiras lore, see Kul Tiras (kingdom).
|Druid, Hunter, Mage, Monk, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warrior, Death Knight, Warlock
|Boralus, Tiragarde Sound
The Kul Tirans (or Kul Tiran humans) are one of the playable Alliance allied races in World of Warcraft, introduced in Battle for Azeroth. A specific breed of human that hail from the island nation of Kul Tiras, they are brawnier than their mainland cousins, but share a history spanning the wars with the Horde.
Kul Tirans start out in their capital city of Boralus, before reporting to their faction's embassy (much like all other allied races). They tend to ride horses like humans do, albeit a sturdier variety, and speak the same Common language.
- Main article: Kul Tiras (kingdom)#History
Kul Tiras was founded by fearless explorers who sailed uncharted waters in search of adventure. As a key member of the Alliance of Lordaeron, the Kul Tiran navy dominated the seas of Azeroth with its legendary fleet. But after years of turmoil and hardship, the kingdom grew isolated and vulnerable to dark influences. Thanks to the help of brave heroes, House Proudmoore has been restored and Kul Tiras is poised to fight alongside the valiant Alliance once more.
Creation screen description
Kul Tiras was founded by fearless explorers who sailed uncharted waters in search of adventure. As a key member of the Alliance of Lordaeron, the Kul Tiran navy dominated the seas of Azeroth with its legendary fleet.
Katherine Proudmoore: Every Kul Tiran shares a bond with the sea. From the tides, we draw our strength. Our courage. For a time, we let fear and distrust divide us. Lost in a storm of doubt, we forgot what it meant to stand as one people. As one family. Today, Kul Tiras proudly flies the Alliance flag once more. Whatever awaits us on the horizon, we will face it... together.
The humans of Kul Tiras can have a more robust and rugged look than their continental brethren.
In order to unlock the ability to play as Kul Tirans, players must have a level 40 Alliance character and complete the following recruitment questline:
- Main articles: Jokes#Kul Tiran male, Jokes#Kul Tiran female
- Main articles: Flirt#Kul Tiran male, Flirt#Kul Tiran female
- Kul Tiran druid forms have a passing resemblance to wicker constructs.
- Kul Tiran hunters begin with a unique falcon pet.
- Non-playable Kul Tiran human models include thin, normal and fat body types. The playable Kul Tirans use the fat body type. They are not intended to be a separate race, they are simply variants on Kul Tirans made because Blizzard wanted bigger and smaller models to fit the various NPC roles and add more flavor to the world. They are not biologically different from other humans.
- Blizzard were not originally certain that they would be able to pull off Kul Tirans as an allied race from a technical and artistic point of view. Making a new playable race from scratch is one of the most time-consuming parts of an expansion's development, and as a result most allied races are variants of existing races. Kul Tirans are an exception to this norm, as they have a completely unique model with a new animation rig. In terms of art resources, this made them just as costly to create as, for example, the pandaren in Mists of Pandaria and more time-consuming than every other allied race combined. Because of this uncertainty, only Dark Iron dwarves and Zandalari trolls were announced as post-launch allied races at BlizzCon 2017. However, as development of Battle for Azeroth progressed, the team felt increasingly bad about this and felt that since the main story of 8.0 revolved around befriending the Zandalari and Kul Tirans, having both races become playable was what the story deserved. They realized that they could make Kul Tirans playable if they stretched, but it wasn't going to be able to happen until patch 8.1.5. Once this was settled, it made the most sense from a story perspective to pair the Kul Tirans with Zandalari. Thus, Zandalari were moved back until 8.1.5 so they could be released alongside Kul Tirans, while Mag'har orcs, originally slated for 8.1.5, were moved forward to 8.0 as the Horde equivalent to Dark Irons.
- Kul Tirans were initially announced without the mage class, which sparked backlash from the fan base. This was declared erroneous later on after several developers had commented on it, namely Alex Afrasiabi, who said he would be fighting for their inclusion.
- The Kul Tiran heritage armor changed before release. It was originally shown to have much brighter colors, a golden anchor on the back of the longer coat, and oddly brightly colored pants. The final version shortened the coat, washed out the colors, brought the pants to the same color as the rest of the internal armor, and removed the golden anchor on the back. It also changed the hat slightly to allow for the Kul Tiran hairstyle to not be covered and added a feather.
- Kul Tirans were the only allied race that were announced without their Heritage Armor on display. While similar, the coat that the Kul Tirans used was not the same as their final design. The website later replaced all promotional images with Kul Tirans to ones with their heritage armor on.
- Prior to the removal of reputation and achievement requirements to unlock allied races, unlocking Kul Tirans required Exalted reputation with the Proudmoore Admiralty and the achievements and .
- Playable Kul Tirans start out at Honored with the Proudmoore Admiralty.
In Heritage armor as shown at BlizzCon 2018.
In Heritage armor in patch 8.1.5.
Kul Tiran druid Moonkin Form.
Kul Tiran shaman totems.
- Concept art
- Patch 10.1.5 (2023-07-11):
- Kul Tirans now have access to the warlock class.
- No longer requires and to unlock.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): No longer requires Exalted with Proudmoore Admiralty to unlock.
- Patch 8.3.0 (2020-01-14): Kul Tirans now have access to the death knight class.
- Patch 8.1.5 (2019-03-12): Added.
- ^ https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/races/kul-tiran
- ^ File:Character creation screen Allied races 8.1.5.jpg
- ^ https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/battle-for-azeroth/features/allied-races
- ^ Patch 8.1.5 Survival Guide and Patch Notes
- ^ BOLSTER YOUR RANKS: COMING IN TIDES OF VENGEANCE (2019-02-13).
- ^ MMO-Champion: The Art of World of Warcraft
- ^ Battle for Azeroth Releases August 14th. MMO-Champion (2018-04-05).
- ^ WoW Q&A with Senior Producer Travis Day and Senior Concept Artist Jimmy Lo. Blizzard Watch (2018-04-05).
- ^ World of Warcraft 2019-01-24. Live Developer Q&A with Ion Hazzikostas- January 24, 2019. YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-01-25.
- ^ The Lost Codex 2018-11-03. Blizzcon 2018 Interview: Alex Afrasiabi & Patrick Dawson - Story and Systems | The Lost Codex. YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-11-03.
es:Humano de Kul Tiras (jugable) it:Kul Tirano (giocabile)